Destroyers are the workhorses of the fleet. Their mobility is their greatest strength. They have the strength to overpower patrol-class ships and the mobility to outmaneuver larger ships. They can move in, strike quickly, then evade. It's for these reasons that the destroyer is the favorite choice for deep-system raiding. This is also the primary role for destroyer-class carriers.
Destroyers are generally considered the smallest of the Leviathans, though smaller capital classes do exist.
Most destroyers use DD as hull designation.
- D - Nearly obsolete designation used for non-FTL planetary defense ships.
- DCV - Used to designate "fast carriers" (TOG) and "flotilla carriers" (CAF).
- DG - Obsolete designation given to early missile-system equipped destroyers.
- DDG - Designation given to destroyers equipped with Type C, D or F missile systems (TOG) or D systems (CAF).
- DE - Obsolete designation given to slower, lightly armed Escorts. This designation has been reassigned to Corvettes.
- Von Der Tann
- Canis (CV)
- Raptor (CV)
- Seeadler (CV)